The JDK 1.1 made several enhancements to the networking package: support was added for selected BSD-style socket options,
ServerSocketare non-final, extendable classes, new subclasses of
SocketExceptionhave been added for finer granularity in reporting and handling network errors, support was added for multicasting. The JDK 1.1 also includes general performance improvements and bug fixes.
To this end, these classes and interfaces were added to the
java.netpackage:For information about changes to existing classes see the notes in the following lessons:New Classes: DatagramSocketImpl HttpURLConnection MulticastSocket New Exception Classes: BindException ConnectionException NoRouteToHostException New Interface: FileNameMap
- Working with URLs (notes)
- A minor change was made to the URLConnection class and some bugs in that class were fixed.
- All About Sockets (notes)
- Several enhancements were made to the networking package.
- All About Datagrams (notes)
- Several methods were added to
- Providing Your Own Security Manager
- The JDK 1.1 release contains an entire new set of security APIs in the
java.securitypackage and it's subpackage. See our new trail, Java Security 1.1 , for information about the new 1.1 security APIs. For even more information, check out the information at the JDK 1.1 website: Security and Signed Applets